Muslim Americans for Compassion (MAC) is proud to sponsor scholarships for 10 Dawson Springs Independent School District (Dawson Springs ISD) high school students. We’ve contributed $5,000 to help these students pursue higher education at colleges across Kentucky.
MAC’s relationship with Dawson Springs ISD began in December 2021, after tornadoes struck the town. Our volunteers and board members recognized that many residents were in need of assistance, so we delivered much needed supplies to the town including non-perishable food, hygiene products, baby formula, clothes, diapers, blankets and much more.
Our first supply delivery took place on December 12th, with follow-up visits on Dec. 14th and 17th. MAC returned to Dawson Springs High School in January to deliver winter jackets and follow-up with local leaders on a needs assessment. In February, we dropped off blankets, pillows, and warm clothes. In April, MAC collaborated with Islamic Relief USA (IRUSA) to deliver cash assistance cards to local teachers.
Throughout the last eight months, it has been a joy to work side by side with the inspiring community in Dawson Springs. Thank you as well to all the volunteers and donators who made our support on the city possible. Many donated to MAC’s GoFundMe for tornado relief as well. Thank you, we couldn’t have done this without you.
MAC’s scholarship donation is just the latest step in a partnership that we’re so proud of. The 10 students who received the scholarship are pursuing a wide variety of interests. These are:
- Eastern Kentucky University – PGA Golf Management
- Madisonville Community College – Elementary Teacher
- Madisonville Community College – Business-Own her own Bakery
- Madisonville Community College – Physical Therapy
- Murray State University – Business
- Murray State University – Nurse Anesthetist
- Murray State University – Liberal Arts
- Murray State University – Medical Doctor
- University of Louisville – J.B. Speed School of Engineering for Electrical Engineering
- Western Kentucky University – Anthropology
The Dawson Springs Progress published an article sharing quotes from Dr. Babar and talking more about the great collaboration being built. You can read it here.